10 Health Benefits of Whisky
All the health benefits of whisky you wish you knew earlier… you’re welcome.
Whisky is one of the best alcohols you can drink. Not only is it the least likely to give you a hangover, but it’s also one of the healthiest around. You’ll find that having a few fingers of whiskey every week can help to:
- Avoid Weight Gain – Whisky is a low-calorie alcohol, especially when compared to the many cocktails, beers, and wines you can find on supermarket shelves. You can drink a tumbler of whisky without worrying about packing on the pounds thanks to its low sugar content.
- Boost Heart Health – Did you know that drinking whisky can actually make your heart healthier? Aside from wine and dark beer, what other alcohols can claim that? Not only will whisky reduce the risk of blood clots, but it will lower your stroke and heart attack risk as well. The antioxidants in whisky stop cholesterol from clogging your arteries, and it can even boost your good cholesterol.
- Fight Cancer – Whisky is rich in antioxidants, particularly one known as ellagic acid. This antioxidant stops your body’s DNA from coming in contact with cancer-causing compounds, reducing the risk of carcinogens forming. It can also protect your body from chemotherapy, and will reduce oxidation in your body.
- Improve Brain Health – A study conducted in 2003 discovered that drinking whisky reduces your risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia. If you’re worried that your brain is slowing down in your old age, it’s time to start drinking whisky to protect your very important organ from damage.
- Reduce Stroke Risk –– Whisky not only helps to prevent cholesterol from building up in your arteries, but it can actually help to get rid of any cholesterol present in your blood vessels at the moment. It will also help to relax the walls of your arteries, ensuring that your blood can flow without obstruction. One of the greatest health benefits of whisky is the reduced stroke risk, and we can all drink to that!
- Fight Stress – Stress can cause a wide range of health problems in the human body, but thankfully we’ve got whisky to kick stress’ butt! Whisky helps to reduce anxiety and stress, calming your nerves and helping to relax your body. It can increase circulation throughout your body, providing your organs with fresh, oxygenated blood. A serving or two of whisky can help to calm stressed nerves effectively!
- Boost Memory — The antioxidants in whisky can help to improve the health of your brain, and the circulation-boosting effects of this alcohol will boost your memory at the same time. The same properties that help to reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia will also keep your brain active and young.
- Aid in Digestion – Did you know that whisky has long been drunk as a digestive aid? It was usually consumed after a meal, helping to relax the body after eating heavy food. It can also help to shut down your appetite, preventing you from overeating. Best of all, it will aid in digestion, reducing your risk of stomach ache or indigestion after a heavy meal.
- Lengthen Lifespan – Whisky is loaded with healthy antioxidants, and these nutrients can help to increase your lifespan by reducing your risk of disease. By protecting your body against disease, you prevent the slow breakdown of important cells in your body–thereby helping you to live longer.
- Great for Diabetics – Whisky is a zero-carb alcohol, so you can drink it without worrying about the effect it will have on your blood sugar levels. If you suffer from diabetes, a finger or two of whisky will be the right choice for you!
Credit: The Luxury Spot, Photo: Murdo Macleod, The Guardian